Sunday, March 25, 2012

Travon Martin Killer

George Zimmerman has been silent since the shooting death of Travon Martin.  Martin was a 17-year-old African-American male who George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watchman in a gated community in Florida, shot dead on February 26, 2012.  Zimmerman was patrolling the neighborhood on a rainy night and saw Trayvon walking back from a store on his way back to his father's home.

Zimmerman called 911 and reported a "suspicious person".  After speaking, the 911 dispatcher asked him if he was following the person and he said "Yes".  Zimmerman didn't listen to the dispatched and got out of his vehicle and a confrontation ensued and ultimately Zimmerman shot Martin.  There has now been a national outcry demanding his arrest.  Marches,rallies, & protests have already happened.

Zimmerman's most vocal supporter, Frank Taffee, has been in the media defending Zimmerman stating that he doesn't like how Zimmerman is being portrayed in the media and recently said in interview with Jane Valez Mitchell:

“First of all, Trayvon Martin was a guest in our community. He was confronted by George Zimmerman, he was not aware of who Trayvon Martin was and all he did was just go up to him and asked him what was your business here.  And essentially all he had to respond was, I’m here visiting my mother, I just got back from the 7-11, what’s the problem. End of story. There would be no tragedy today . . . .
“ Once again there are documented crimes in our neighborhood that have been perpetrated by one group of young black males. George simply confronted the individual, asked him a question, he could have responded by saying, I’m here visiting my mother and it would have been the end of the story.”
Now Zimmerman contacted Taffee and left a voicemail saying:

Hey Mr. Taaffe. This is George. Um, first and foremost, I wanted to say I am very sorry for the loss of your son, and, um, I can't imagine what you must be going through. Um, secondly, I wanted to thank you for doing everything you've been doing. Um, I know you don't have to, and I appreciate it, and you're truly setting an example for me for the future of, uh, doing the right thing even when it's tough, and, uh, I appreciate it. I'll talk to you soon. Thanks. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment